Skip to content

We have done really well so far during the pandemic to keep each other safe, but it's not over yet!

  • We've kept our sites COVID-secure.
  • Students and staff using our facilities in person have been tested regularly.
  • Our COVID Support Team is highly effective in supporting positive cases, where they occur, and tracking any potential contacts.

Now we need to keep all that going and it is vitally important that everyone keeps taking safety seriously because COVID-19 is still with us.

The 'Delta' variant is now the most common strain in the UK and is spreading in Cheshire West and Chester, Warrington, Shropshire and Wirral.

We also know that around eight in 10 UK adults now have COVID antibodies, thanks to vaccination rates increasing. Vaccinations will be offered to all over 18s imminently. Check locally for details (see 4) below.​

​​1. What to do if you have symptoms or are a contact of a confirmed case

If you have one of the three COVID symptoms

If you have high temperature, or a new and continuous cough, or a loss of sense of taste and or smell, you should self-isolate at home with your household and book a PCR test.

If you feel generally unwell

If you have symptoms such as shortness of breath, muscle or body aches, fatigue, sore throat, headache, nasal congestion or runny nose, diarrhoea, nausea or vomiting, but don't have one of the three COVID-19 symptoms, you should immediately book a PCR test and aim to get tested that day. But you don't need to isolate unless you get a positive test result. PCR tests can be booked here and by selecting 'My local council or health protection team has asked me to get a test, even though I do not have symptoms' or calling 119.

If you have any of these symptoms:

  • Do not come on to a University site.
  • Tell if you are a student, wherever you are living.
  • Tell if you are a member of staff, wherever you are working. (This email account should also be used to report cases/suspected cases in visiting lecturers, external examiners or contractors.)

Contacts of a confirmed case

If you are a contact of a confirmed case of COVID-19, you should self-isolate for 10 days and book a PCR test, still isolating for 10 days, even if the PCR test is negative.

Tell if you are a student, wherever you are living.

Tell if you are a member of staff, wherever you are working. (This email account should also be used to report if visiting lecturers, external examiners or contractors are contacts of confirmed cases.)

​2. Regular testing

If you are feeling well

You should test yourself routinely twice a week (ideally on a Monday and Thursday morning) using a free LFD (Lateral Flow Device) at home test. This is particularly important if you are coming on to a University site regularly.

These tests should not be used if you are unwell or think you have COVID-19.

You can:

  • collect home testing kits from a local community collect site - locations are here.
  • collect home testing kits from a testing site - locations are here.
  • order home testing kits to be delivered to your home here.

A box of test kits should last three and a half weeks of regular testing twice per week.

University​ supervised asymptomatic testing centres - see booking details

  • Exton Park (Small Hall) – this will remain open until the end of July. You can also collect home testing kits here. (PLEASE NOTE: From Monday 5th July the centre will only be open on Monday's and Thursday's)

​3. International students

You have been sent separate information from the International Centre about what you need to do according to the UK Government  BEFORE you travel from your home country.

You can travel, whether or not you have been vaccinated.

Make sure you register with a doctor (GP) online. This is really important as it will enable you to book COVID vaccinations as soon as you can (see 4). If you have had a first vaccination in your home country, you can still have your second vaccination in the UK. You may be asked to show evidence of this (your vaccination card) to your GP. You can also have both vaccinations in the UK. This is free of charge and you need to be registered with a GP first.

Please see the information above in 1) about what to do if you have symptoms of COVID-19 and in 2) about the need for regular testing if you are coming into University. If you have any questions, please contact:

4. Book your vaccines

Make sure you are registered with a GP. Wherever you are living as a student, make sure you register locally, whether you are at your permanent home address or at University – and re-register if you are returning home/to University.

If you are in England, please check:   

Also, in areas local to the University, you can see details of the local situation in terms of vaccine availability:

If you are in Wales, please check the information relating to your local health board.

For Scotland, please check here.

For Northern Ireland, please check here: here

​5. Even when vaccinated with two doses, we must all still:​

  • Wash our hands and use hand sanitiser between washes
  • Wear face coverings (unless exempt)
  • Make space for each other
  • Meet in the fresh air if possible and keep indoor space well ventilated.​

Hands.  Face.  Space.  |  Ventilation 

​​The UK Government has released a video  explaining the importance of ventilation in preventing the spread of coronavirus.  An example is opening windows to allow fresh air into enclosed spaces. This can help reduce the spread of the virus indoors. ​

Is your phone number up to date on our records?

We need students' contact details to tell them if they need to self-isolate. Please check that we have both your term-time and permanent addresses and current phone mobile number. Check your records now!

Questions, answers and keeping updated

We have produced a set of FAQs about the testing which is available on portal. Please read through them. We will be keeping you informed as required so please do keep checking your emails, portal and our website for updates.


Our facilities are COVID-secure, but following the Government advice, any staff who can work from home should do so, with the agreement of their manager. 

Staff should also take part in the aysmptomatic testing.We have produced a set of FAQs about the testing which is available on portal.

Commercial Occupants

Business located on University sites, please visit here for latest updates.