Skip to content

Your digital visa or biometric card should indicate the hours you are allowed to work.

If you are enrolled on a full-time course that lasts for at least six months, and you have a Student visa, you are generally permitted to work up to twenty hours during term time, full-time during vacations.

You may also be able to work full-time after your official course end date (as stated on your CAS) if you have fully completed your programme by that point.

Careers and Employability may be able to help you to find part-time or voluntary work, and can assist you to use these experiences in developing your employability skills.

Further information about working during your studies can be obtained from the UKCISA website.

Working after your studies

In 2021, the UK Government launched the Graduate Immigration Route for international students. Those who have completed a degree at undergraduate level or above at a Higher Education Provider and have a valid student visa at time of application may be eligible.

This visa allows successful applicants to stay and work, or look for work, in the UK at any skill level for a maximum period of two years after graduation. Further information is available on our graduate visa website.

Another option to stay and work in the UK after studies is the Skilled Worker visa. This is a worker visa where an employer sponsors the individuals visa. Graduates can either switch straight from the Student visa to the Skilled Worker visa, or they may wish to go to the Graduate Visa first, and then after a time from the Graduate visa to the Skilled Worker visa once they find an employer to sponsor them. See the UKVI's Skilled Worker visa website for more information

It is only possible to have one graduate visa in your lifetime. And it is not possible to switch from a Skilled Worker visa to a graduate visa. So please consider your plans carefully, and discuss with an independent immigration adviser for further guidance.