Skip to content

For international students, and EU students without pre-settled status, a visa is usually required to study in the UK. If you are unsure if you need a visa to study in the UK please contact the International Centre on for clarification.

To apply for this visa, you will require a Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies (CAS); this is a document issued by the University. To obtain a CAS from the University of Chester you will need to complete a separate application process.

You will be sent further details on the University of Chester’s CAS (visa sponsorship) process once confirmation of your deposit payment has been received, and all outstanding conditions on your offer letter have been met. You will need to read the email and all the attached documents you receive carefully, as these will provide you with detailed information on what you need to provide to be issued with your CAS and also your student visa.

The documents you must send to the University of Chester to obtain your CAS include:

1. Completed CAS request form

Attached to the email you receive confirming that your deposit has been received will be our CAS Policy for New Applicants and Students Joining a New Course of Study. You will need to read through this CAS policy and return the CAS request form that can be found at the end of this document.

2. Financial Documents (not applicable to "low-risk" nationals)

As part of the student visa process you will need to show that you have sufficient funds to cover the any outstanding tuition fees owed to the University and maintenance costs of £9,135. These funds must have been present in your account for a continuous 28-day period. In addition, the University of Chester requests that the bank statements you provide us, also show that you have maintained an additional £200 to cover any currency fluctuations which may occur.

We will need evidence that you meet this requirement before issuing you with a CAS. Guidance on the types of financial documents that are accepted can be found in our "Student Visa Frequently Asked Questions" document.

3. Genuine Intention to Study Form/Interview (not applicable to "low-risk" nationals)

Attached to the email you receive confirming that your deposit has been received will be our Genuine Intention to Study Form. You will need to complete this form by answering the questions in as much detail as possible.

In addition, we may require you to undertake and pass a Genuine Intention Interview (via Skype). Genuine Intention Interviews will be arranged within 48 hours of your deposit being confirmed. If you have not been contacted by the International Centre within 48 hours of your deposit being confirmed or are unsure if you are required to complete this additional process please contact us on

Guidance of the types of questions asked during the Genuine Intention Interview process can be found in our A Guide to Credibility Interviews for Students Applying from Overseas document.

4. ATAS Certificate

If you are a non-EU/EEA (including Switzerland) national and are planning to take postgraduate study in the UK in certain, Technology, Engineering or Science subjects then you will now need to obtain an ATAS (Academic Technology Approval Scheme) certificatebefore applying for the visa, entry clearance or extension of stay as a student. Further details on the ATAS application procedure can be found at the following link: ATAS certificate.

A copy of your ATAS certificate must be provided before a CAS will be issued. Information on if you require an ATAS certificate will be outlined on your offer letter. If you are unsure if an ATAS certificate is required please contact us on

Please send all CAS request documents to If, after providing your documents we require further information to process your CAS we will contact you via email outlining what is required.

Further information on money and maintenance requirements can be found online at the Home Office website.


Please note, the deadlines can differ per course due to differences in course start dates.