Skip to content


Health care is free from the National Health Service (NHS) from the beginning of your stay if you are:

  • An EU student
  • An international student who is on a programme of study for six months and has paid the immigration health surcharge
  • A national or a resident of a country which has a reciprocal health agreement with the UK

You may register with an NHS doctor when you arrive in Chester or Warrington. Advice on how to register will be given during the Induction Week.


The Department of Health in the UK is currently advising all new students to have the vaccination against Meningococcal Meningitis C strain. You are recommended to have this vaccination at least two weeks before you arrive at the University of Chester, so that you are fully immunised. All students taking Biomedical Sciences degree programmes are also required to be vaccinated against the Hepatitis B virus. This is essential under UK Health and Safety Regulations for those who will come into contact with blood or blood products. If students choose not to be vaccinated, their learning experiences and choice of work placement may be severely limited.

Tuberculosis Screening

Applicants for UK visas valid for longer than six months in certain countries from February 2007, require a certificate to show that they are free from infectious pulmonary tuberculosis (TB). The applicants from the following countries: Bangladesh, Ghana, (which also takes applications from Burkina Faso, Cote d'Ivoire, Togo and Nigeria), Kenya (which also take applications from residents of Eritrea and Somalia), Pakistan, Sudan, Tanzania, and Thailand (which also takes applications from Cambodia and Laos) will need to provide with their visa application, a certificate confirming that they are free from infectious tuberculosis (TB).

Before accepting your visa application, British Embassy/High Commission will ask you to contact their partner, the International Organisation for Migration (IOM), who will arrange for you to have a chest x-ray at an accredited clinic or hospital. The IOM office will give you a certificate which you must submit with your visa application form and other documents so that they know that you are free from infectious TB.
Your visa will normally be refused if there is no certificate. You should carry the certificate in your hand luggage. If you do not, you may be delayed on arrival in the UK.


It is advisable to take out an insurance policy to cover your personal property when you are travelling to the UK, and whilst you are in the UK.