Skip to content

Once you have submitted your student visa application you will be expected to keep the University of Chester updated with the outcome of your visa application. This can be done by contacting the International Centre on

The next steps you need to take will depend on the outcome of your visa application:

1. Your student visa application is successful.

If your visa application is successful you will need to email with a copy of your decision letter and the vignette (sticker) in your passport.  If known, you will also need to supply us with your arrival information.

The Home Office have introduced a new process for some students who apply for student visas from outside the UK and who are coming to study for more than 6 months.  If you are part of this new process you will be issued with a vignette (sticker) which will be secured in your passport; this temporary visa will be valid for 90 days.  You must arrive in the UK before your temporary 90 day visa expires.  Failure to do so will mean you will not be able to enter the UK and you will be required to obtain a new CAS and make a new visa application.

Do read our Protect Your Visa Guide 

Upon arriving in the UK, students must collect their BRP card, which will cover the full length of your course.  You will need to collect your BRP card from the allocated location outlined in the decision letter you received with your passport and temporary visa.  Failure to collect your BRP card within this time will result in your sponsorship being withdrawn and you having to leave the UK.

You will need your BRP card along with your passport to enrol at the University of Chester. For more information on the enrolment process please visit our enrolment page.

2. Your student visa application is refused.

If you receive a visa refusal, you must send a full copy of your visa refusal letter to immediately. Upon receipt of the visa refusal letter, the University of Chester will review the reasons for refusal and confirm if we believe there are grounds for an Administrative Review (AR).  If we do not believe an AR should be submitted, we will inform you if the University is able to issue you with another CAS and if so, what documents need to be submitted for this to take place.

Please note the University refund policy: 

Visa Delays

If you are experiencing delays obtaining your student visa and you are concerned you are going to miss your course start date, or your course has already started, please contact the International Centre as soon as possible on  We will advise if any further extensions can be provided and if necessary provide you with supporting documents to confirm this.