Skip to content

If you are enrolled on a full-time course that lasts for at least six months, you are permitted to work up to twenty hours during term time, and full time during holidays.

According to the latest changes to Tier 4 (student) visa , only students attending certain type of institutions such as universities or publicly funded further education colleges will be allowed to work during term-time, all other students will be excluded from working.

Entry clearance authorities will indicate on your Visa or biometric card the hours you are allowed to work.

If you come to the UK to study on a course which is 6 months or longer at the University of Chester, you will generally be able to work part-time (no more than 20 hours a week) during term time and full-time during vacations (Note: postgraduate students are not permitted to work full-time during the summer vacation if they have not submitted their dissertation and completed their course of study).

Careers and Employability together with the Students' Union and Student Development, can help you to find part-time or voluntary work, and can assist you to use these experiences in developing your employability skills.

Further information about working during your studies can be obtained from the UKCISA website.

Working after your studies

In order to obtain a work Visa after your studies, the UKVI allow UK university graduates to switch into Tier 2 category. You will only be able to switch to Tier 2 if you secure a graduate level job and meet all the UKVI requirements. Please keep checking the UKVI website for more details.