Skip to content

Maintenance loan 2017-18

If you are a full-time UK student under the age of 60, you can apply for a maintenance loan to help cover your living costs whilst at University. This will be paid directly into your bank account at the start of term and will need to be paid back.

Maintenance loan entitlements for English students are as follows:

Full-time undergraduate student

Loan for the 2017 - 2018 academic year

Living at home

Up to £7,097

Living away from home, outside London

Up to £8,430

You spend a year of a UK course studying abroad

Up to £9,654

You an estimate your Maintenance Loan using the student finance calculator. If you wish to apply for the full loan, Student Finance will have to assess your household income. A partial loan may be available without Student Finance having to assess your household income. You may be entitled to a higher amount if you qualify for welfare benefits. For further information, please visit the GOV.UK website.

Please be aware that if you live outside of England, there can be differences in the way student finance is governed, meaning the amount you receive may be different. Further details can be found on student finance websites relevant to your country of residence.