Skip to content

George Harold Newbold

Birth

George Harold Newbold was born on December 27, 1885 at Stone, in Staffordshire. He was the second child born to George and Sarah (née Wilkinson). His sister, Elizabeth, was in born in 1884. George was baptised at St. Michael’s Church on April 4, 1886.

Early Life

By the time of the 1891 Census, the family had moved to High Street, in Newport, Shropshire, where George senior had a baker and confectioner’s shop. Ten years later the family were still at the same address, but George had three new siblings: Agnes (born in 1892); Frank (born in 1896) and Kate (born in 1900). George was a pupil at Newport Grammar School.

Chester College

George attended Chester College and left in 1907 to begin his teaching career. While he was there, George served with the Cheshire Volunteer Artillery between June 1905 and June 1907.

By 1910, George was living in Rugby. In the 1911 Census, he was recorded as living at 91 Manor Road - the household of Harry Archibald Pearl, an accountant. George gave his occupation as Schoolmaster for Warwickshire Education Department.

In September 1917, George married Elizabeth Alice Davies, the marriage being registered at Atcham, in Shropshire.

Military Service

George attested for service on November 29, 1915 as Private 4417 3/4th Battalion King’s Shropshire Light Infantry in Shrewsbury. This Battalion had been formed in Shrewsbury in May 1915 and was based in Oswestry, then later in Tenby. On April 8, 1916 it became the 4th Reserve Battalion. When he attested, George Harold was the Headmaster of an elementary school. He was appointed as a Lance-Corporal on May 17, 1916 and re-numbered as 206415.

George was recommended for officer training by his Commanding Officer on November 28, 1916. On December 5, 1916, he was accepted for training by Colonel G. Thomas, Officer commanding 2nd Reserve Brigade Artillery (TF) at Bettisfield Park Camp, near Whitchurch, in Shropshire. In January 1917, he attended the Cadet Training School at Exeter and he was promoted to Corporal in April 1917, around the time he finished his training. On May 12, 1917, he was discharged from the KSLI to take up a commission in the Royal Field Artillery.

From May 12, 1917 until August 1917, George served as 2nd Lieutenant at Number 1 Reserve Brigade R.F.A. He later served with the 241st Brigade in Italy, and was then promoted to Lieutenant (gazetted on December 6, 1918) when attached to the 2nd North Midland Brigade.

Post Mortem

George was still a serving Officer in the Royal Field Artillery when he fell ill whilst visiting his parents in Newport. He died there on February 12, 1919 from influenza. He is buried at Newport General Cemetery, Shropshire. George was awarded the British War and Victory Medals for his service to King and Country.