Skip to content

As a student at the University of Chester, I personally have found accessing support for my learning disability a lot easier than it was in my high school.

At the University we support students who:

  • ​​have a physical impairment or mobility issue
  • have a mental health condition, such as depression, schizophrenia or anxiety disorder ​
  • have a Specific Learning Difference e.g. dyslexia, dyspraxia or ADHD​
  • have a social/communication impairment such as Asperger’s Syndrome/other Autistic Spectrum Disorder​
  • are blind or have a serious visual impairment uncorrected by glasses​
  • are deaf or have a serious hearing impairment​
  • have a long-standing illness or health condition such as cancer, HIV, diabetes, chronic heart disease, or epilepsy ​
  • have any condition which meets the definition of a disability under the Equality Act 2010.

In my first few weeks of university, I told my PAT (Personal Academic Tutor) about my learning disability. For those that don’t know a PAT is someone that will be assigned to you as your go-to person for anything you need while at university. They are able to advise you on anything you need or direct you to the correct person or team for anything you may need. My PAT directed me to the learning disability team.

I contacted them via email and booked an appointment with them in person to discuss what inclusions I would need to be put in place. At this appointment, I took all the documents they had asked me for, including proof of my disability. For me, this proof was my diagnosis paperwork.

This appointment was great as it was a chance to have an open conversation about the support that I felt that I would need and the support that they offer. We also talked about course-specific help such as placements and support I may need in place for those. 

These adjustments can include but are not limited to:

  • Obtaining up-to-date supporting evidence
  • Suitable university accommodation
  • Exam arrangements
  • Provision of Support Workers
  • Specialist equipment loan
  • Funding applications (Disabled Students Allowance, Student Support Fund)
  • Liaison with academic departments
  • Accessible parking

From this meeting, you then get an individual support plan which you can then send to your PAT, lectures, placement facilitators or anyone else you may feel would benefit from knowing about how to best support you.

As well as university support, utilising any government support available to you is hugely important. If you have not already applied you may be eligible for Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA) which is support to cover the study-related costs you may have due to mental health problems, long-term illness or any other disabilities.

For any other questions contact disability and inclusion on or 01244511550.

When contacting Disability and Inclusion for further information - please include the following:

  • Your name
  • Your student number (if known)
  • A contact telephone number
  • Email address
  • Your message
  • Site details
  • What campus you will be studying at

For any other questions you can also ask a current student on Unibuddy.

Share this content