Skip to content

How do I register with UCAS?

You’ll need to make your application online. Start by registering with the UCAS Hub. Once registered, you’ll be taken to your UCAS Hub dashboard, where you’ll be able to start your application. You won’t need to complete your application there and then – you can save your progress and return to it later.

It’s important that you enter your name exactly as it appears on official documents, such as your birth certificate, driving licence or passport. And, making sure your email address is up to date will mean you don’t miss out on important updates.

If you’re studying with a school or college, they may give you a buzzword, which you can enter at any time. This links your application to your school or college, so they can track your progress, provide support, and add a reference.

How will my application be assessed?

Our Admissions Team will be looking at your qualifications, personal statement, reference, your knowledge of the subject discipline, and your attitude to learning and personal development.

It can be difficult to know where to start when writing your personal statement, so we’ve put together some useful tips on writing an effective personal statement.

What are the entry criteria?

Before applying, check you have the right qualifications for your chosen course(s). Our entry criteria can be found on each course page in our prospectus and online. You’ll also find the course code(s) here too.

Will I have to attend an interview/audition?

As part our selection process, we may invite you to attend an interview or audition before we make you an offer. Find out which courses require an interview by visiting our course pages online and in our prospectus.

Where can I find the institutional code?

Our institutional code is CHSTR C55. And, if you’re applying for a course based at one of the following locations, you’ll also need the campus code:

  • University Centre Shrewsbury – S
  • University Centre Warrington – W
  • University Centre Birkenhead – B
  • University Centre Reaseheath – R
  • The Hammond School - H 

How many courses can I apply for, and how much is the application fee?

If you know which course you’d like to study, you can apply for a single course. The application fee is £22.50. Alternatively, if you’re unsure, you can apply for up to five courses – the application fee will be £27.  ​

What’s the deadline for submitting my application?

For 2023 entry, you can submit your application between 6th September 2022 - 25th January 2023. If you submit your application to UCAS after 25th January, we’ll still consider your application, but we’ll only be able to make you an offer if we have places available on your chosen course. So, our advice is to make sure you apply before 25 January 2023. 

If you apply after the end of June, your application will automatically go into Clearing.

Can I get financial help to fund my studies?

With the rising cost of living, it’s natural to worry about finances when it comes to funding your studies.

Higher education isn’t just about learning – it will enrich your life. We go the extra mile to help you develop into a future-focused graduate with transferable skills so that you can make a real difference in the world. Expect brighter employment prospects and increased earning potential too.

To help you get your head around what financial help is available, visit the student finance section of our website – you’ll find more information here about tuition fees and financial support you may be eligible to receive whilst studying here with us.

When you’re completing your UCAS application, you’ll be asked to provide a few details about how you plan to fund your studies, but you’ll complete a full finance application between February and May.

What is the University’s policy on deferred entry?

Some students prefer to take a year out before starting university. So, if you’re thinking of taking a gap year to travel, work or volunteer to help you gain life experience or add to your skills, you can make your application as normal – we welcome applications for deferred entry on all our courses, apart from Children's Nursing and Midwifery.

What if I’m not currently studying at a college?

If you’re not currently studying at a school or college, you can still apply for university courses through UCAS. Before starting your application, check you have the relevant qualifications for the courses you’re interested in. Usually, they need to have been achieved within the last five years. 

Find out more about entry requirements on our course pages online and in our prospectus

If you’ve completed a course within the last couple of years, ask your tutors to provide a reference to support your application. Otherwise, you can ask one of the following people to provide a reference: 

  • an employer who knows you well (e.g. a line manager)
  • current or previous work colleague
  • college or school tutor
  • careers adviser
  • training assessor
  • volunteer leaders
  • counsellors.

Who can I contact for further information and advice?

If you have any questions or would like advice on your application, our Admissions team is here to help. Get in touch on 01244 511000 or email us at:

Share this content