Skip to content

This page is designed to help students widen their search for extra funds and borrows heavily from Student Services. It covers how to apply for funding if you have special requirements, how to manage your living costs and the help which is available if you get into difficulties.

Part-time Work

A practical and confidence-building way of raising funds is to get a part-time job while you are studying. Careers & Employability can suggest a variety of on-campus (UniJob) and local private sector jobs which are available. For further information, please have a look at the Careers & Employability Vacancies page.

Managing Your Money

If you worry about looking after your personal finances, help is on hand. The key to controlling your money is to plan a personal budget. You should have a good idea of what you will receive from loans and/or grants and what you are likely to spend on food, travel, books and accommodation. Unexpected costs might upset your plans but stick to your budget as much as possible. 

There’s loads of good advice from the National Association of Student Money Advisers, especially about saving money on living expenses. The student area is free to browse and get top tips.

Advisory Services Offered by Wellbeing and Mental Health

Everything that follows on this page is covered by Wellbeing and Mental Health (Student Services). If you are a student with special circumstances, you will find it helpful to discuss your financial arrangements with Wellbeing and Mental Health. Wellbeing Advisers may be able to suggest ways you can get financial help. Some of the key areas and web links are shown on this page but it would be advisable to contact the Wellbeing and Mental Health team first of all.

Help for Students with Children or Dependants

If you have children or adult dependants, you may be eligible to apply for a Childcare Grant or an Adult Dependant Grant. You should apply for a Childcare Grant at the same time as applying for a Tuition Fee Loan from Student Finance (England) on the website. Students with dependant children may also be entitled to claim Child Tax Credit from HM Revenue and Customs and a Parent’s Learning Allowance to help with course-related costs.

Links are shown on this page to apply for assistance but you should also visit the Wellbeing and Mental Health team area for extra information.

Help for Students with Disabilities

If you are a full-time or part-time student with a disability, mental health difficulties or specific learning difficulties, you can apply for a Disabled Students Allowance (DSA). You will have to provide medical proof of your disability such as a letter from your doctor or a specialist. The DSA is paid on top of the other student packages and does not need to be repaid.

You should contact a Disability Support Officer to get the best advice first but the DSA application link is shown on this page for information.

Open Days / Interview / Audition Day Travel Bursary

If you are attending an Open Day or an Interview/Audition Day and meet any of the criteria below, you may be eligible for our Travel Bursary.

  • Looked after Children / have been in local authority care
  • Carer
  • In receipt of benefits, such as Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA), Employment and Support Allowance (ESA), Income Support, Tax Credits or Universal Credit
  • Have a declared disability and are in receipt of Personal Independence Payment (PIP) or Disability Living Allowance (DLA) 
  • Estranged student

Through our Travel Bursary, you may be eligible to claim up to £100 towards your, and one guest's, travel costs.