Skip to content

The University uses StudentPad to advertise all private sector properties.  All properties advertised on the University of Chester Studentpad pages are currently part of the Cheshire Landlord Accreditation Scheme (CLAS). There are a wide range of properties available for you to view and the properties are updated regularly.

What is the Cheshire Landlord Accreditation Scheme?

The Cheshire Landlord Accreditation Scheme is a means of recognition of good housing management practices and properties that meets a Code of Standards. The Code of Standards covers all types of student accommodation in the private rented sector including shared houses, purpose built student accommodation, and flats. The Cheshire Landlord Accreditation Scheme is only issued for a maximum of 5 years, and then another application and property inspections are required. 

What is the Cheshire Landlord Accreditation Scheme Code of Standards?

In order to become accredited, a percentage of a landlords property portfolio is inspected. Rental properties must be in good condition and free from serious hazards. The landlord or letting agent of the property must also adhere to good housing management practices.

Why choose an accredited landlord or letting agent?

Moving into the private rented sector for the first time can be a big step for many students. The Cheshire Landlord Accreditation Scheme gives assurance that the good management practices are in place and the properties are safe and suitable for occupation by students.   Only landlords and letting agents who are accredited will be allowed to advertise their property by the University Accommodation Office.

When the Council inspects a landlord or letting agent they will look at fire, electrical, gas and other safety issues. The scheme's Code of Standards also covers things such as how the landlord or agent manages the property and whether it is well maintained and is clean.   

If you have any issues about the quality accommodation, Cheshire Landlord Accreditation Scheme or other housing issues, please do not hesitate to contact Cheshire West and Chester Council's Housing Standards Team by telephone on 0300 123 7038 or email   

All properties advertised on the Student Pad website have been accredited with the Cheshire Landlord Accreditation Scheme. Make the Student Stamp website your first call when searching for accommodation: 

Please note: Students must contact the Landlords directly to arrange a viewing and not approach the students currently living in the properties.

We would recommend that before students sign any agreements or contracts that they thoroughly check the contents as this is a legally binding contract. Please ensure when handing money over landlords you receive a receipt for each transaction. 

The Students’ Union are available for advice on the subjects above. 

We understand that students are told to start looking for accommodation from November / December onwards but we, along with the Students' Union, do not recommend this as it's far too early. Far more properties are available to choose from in the spring.

Information for Private Sector Landlords

To advertise on the University Studentpad website all properties need to be appropriately credited and have up to date gas safety certificates. The University works closely with the Cheshire West and Cheshire Council with regards to Private Sector Housing for students. In 2018, the phasing out of the Student Stamp scheme began with the move to the Cheshire Landlord Accreditation scheme (CLAS). At present we are currently in the transition stage and any valid Student Stamp accreditation will be valid until the expiry date. For further information on the Cheshire Landlord Acreditation Scheme please visit the Cheshire West and Chester council website.

Landlords with Current Valid Student Stamp Accreditation

The University will continue to honour the Student Stamp and the benefits that came with it, including the advertising fees. Once the Student Stamp has expired, Landlords must upload a copy of the CLAS accreditation and make the appropriate advertisement fee.

Landlords without a valid Student Stamp Accreditation

To advertise with the University you will need a copy a copy of your current Cheshire Landlord Accreditation Scheme certificate and gas safety certificate. Once uploaded you will be required to pay the appropriate advertisement fee as indicated below:

Landlord with 1 Property


Landlord with 2+ Properties

£30 per property advertised

Lettings Agencies

£600 ( whole portfolio)

Hall Providers  ( 1 Property)


Hall Providers ( 2 Properties)


Hall Providers (3+ properties)


Once the appropriate payment and certification is made available, the Residential Living Team will make your property live on the system.

If you have any queries please contact the Residential Living Team via

New Landlords

To register an interest in advertising on the Chester University Studentpad website, please visit the Student Stamp website

For further information on the Cheshire Landlord Accreditation Scheme please visit the Cheshire West and Chester council website