Skip to content

Starting University can be a big step for new students and also marks the beginning of new phase for the whole family. There will be excitement, anxiety and apprehension but the University of Chester is keen to ensure parents and carers understand what support is available for your child.

University support services

The following support is available to all students at the University of Chester: 

  • Personal Academic Tutor (PAT) – an academic member of staff from the student’s academic department
  • Residential Advisors – offer support out of hours
  • Wellbeing & Mental Health – practical information and advice about issues and concerns that may be impacting on study or University experience
  • Disability & Inclusion – supporting and advising students with disabilities
  • International Student Support – providing support and advice to international students
  • University Proctor – deals with complaints, investigates disciplinary issues, addresses antisocial behaviour and advises on personal safety
  • Chaplaincy – pastoral and spiritual support to the University community
  • Student Counselling – professional counsellors
  • Financial Support Team – for those in financial hardship
  • Careers & Employability – advice and guidance to help students find work and improve their employability skills
  • Mentoring – provides opportunities in the University and local schools
  • Volunteering – enable students to develop their skills and make the most of their time at University
  • Sport & Active Lifestyle – get a healthy study/life balance through sport, fitness and lifestyle advice
  • Porters & Security – 24/7 365 days a year
  • The Students’ Union – represents students on all aspects of student life, enhances student experience and offer social, sporting and non-sporting activities and societies.

Are you concerned about your child?

If you believe your child is experiencing difficulties and needs additional support you could encourage them to contact the Wellbeing & Mental Health team.

If you have serious concerns about your child's wellbeing or welfare, you should contact the Wellbeing & Mental Health team, or the Porters (campus security) when outside of office hours. Please note that due to the Data Protection Act (2019) we will not be able to share any specific information, including progress, about a student, to any third party, this includes family members.

If your concern is urgent please contact the emergency services on 999

Sharing information

Parents and carers should note that due to the Data Protection Act (2019) we will not be able to share any specific information, including progress, about a student, to any third party, this includes family members. University staff will be happy to provide you with general information about University.

In exceptional cases we may contact a student’s emergency contact.  It is important that students ensure this contact remains up to date.

How can you help

  • Be at the other end of the phone for them
  • Listen to them
  • Show them that they are important
  • Reasure them it is normal to feel anxious during transition
  • Encourage self-confidence and independence to help them adjust
  • Try not to contact them too much. We know that you may feel a sense of loss, but they need to know that you trust them; let them make their own decisions…and mistakes sometimes
  • Encourage them to access University support 
  • Help with managing a student’s expectations

Here are some examples of potential signs that a student is requiring additional support. However, please be aware that someone may still require support even if none of these signs are present.

  • They want to come home every weekend
  • They are upset or crying when they call you
  • They start calling you very often
  • You have a feeling that there is something wrong but they will not talk to you
  • They want to leave soon after arriving at University