Skip to content
I need to make an appointment with Disability & Inclusion to discuss my support. How do I do this?

Information on how to contact Disability & Inclusion, and can be found here.

What do you mean by “Disability”?

You are disabled under the Equality Act 2010 if you have a physical or mental impairment that has a ‘substantial’ and ‘long term’ negative effect on your ability to do normal daily activity.

Many students who don’t think of themselves as disabled would be eligible for some form of support. These students may have an unseen medical conditions such as chronic fatigue or diabetes or mental health condition such as anxiety or depression.

I’m worried about telling the University I’ve got a disability. What should I do?

We are aware that students can be reluctant to disclose a disability because they fear that it might negatively affect their application or result in them being treated differently by the University.

Please be assured that this is not the case; it would be unlawful for a university to discriminate against any student based on their disability.

I have a disability, do I have to disclose this to the university?

If you would like to access support then you will need to disclose this to the University. Without a disclosure, Disability & Inclusion would not be able to be put support in place.

Ultimately, it is your decision as to whether you wish to disclose your disability or not. However, we strongly encourage you to do so, this would mean that you are able to access all the support to which you are entitled.

Please note: due to the nature of courses such as Nursing or Teaching, you will be required to disclose your disability to ensure that you are able to meet the professional standards.

Who will you tell about my Disability?

We won’t tell anybody about your disability, unless you give us permission to do so, or there is a risk to yourself or others.

We will only share your information with staff outside Disability & Inclusion to enable us to meet your support needs or to respond to complaints. We will only share information which departments require in order to put appropriate support in place, any discussion will be purposeful and respectful.

You have the right to request that no information is disclosed to others. However, this may limit the amount of support we can offer and may limit the reasonable adjustments which we can put into place.

Disclosing a disability won’t affect your degree certificate, and we won’t tell your future employers.

I did not disclose my disability when I started university, can I now choose to disclose?

Yes, you can disclose at any point during your time here. We would encourage that you disclose as early as possible so that the appropriate support measures can be put in place.

I have a disability, can I get any additional funded support whilst studying at the University?

Yes, if you have a disability you may be eligible to apply for Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA) this is a grant that helps to fund specialist equipment and support during your time as a student. The university will also make recommendations for reasonable adjustments to be made to support your studies.

Do I need to provide evidence of my disability?

Yes, your evidence must echo the Equality Act 2010 and state that your diagnosis has a substantial and long-term negative effect on your ability to do normal daily activities.

  • Substantial is more than minor or trivial, e.g. it takes much longer than it usually would to complete a daily task like getting dressed.
  • Long term means has lasted, or is expected to last, more than 12 months.
  • Clear diagnosis is definitive confirmation of the health condition or impairment.
What evidence should I provide?

Evidence can be:

  • A GP letter
  • Educational Psychologist report
  • Specialist practitioner report
  • Educational Health Care Plan
  • University of Chester Disability Evidence pro-forma, or similar.

Your evidence must clearly show the date of diagnosis.

I am having difficulties but I don’t have any evidence/a diagnosis, what should I do?

In order to receive support all students are required to provide suitable evidence of a disability under the Equality Act 2010. You may wish to approach your GP, or a suitable specialist to obtain this evidence.

You may wish to book a Quick Query appointment with Disability & Inclusion. For enquires by email and phone 

Email:   Telephone: 01244 511550

You are responsible for obtaining and paying for any tests to establish your eligibility for DSA.

I think I’ve got a Specific Learning Difference (SpLD) such as dyslexia or dyspraxia, but I’ve never been tested/my report doesn’t meet the requirements for Higher Education?

If you think you may have a Specific Learning Difference, you may be eligible to be assessed for a SpLD such as dyslexia through the University's providers.

If you opt to undertake an assessment through the University, if eligible, you would be expected to pay a contribution of £100, and we would then look to fund the additional costs through our designated providers.

Please contact Disability & Inclusion for further information.

Why do I need more than one appointment?

You may need to attend a number of appointments to ensure that the correct support can be put in place during your time at university.

These appointments may include;

  • Meeting with Disability & Inclusion - This is an appointment with a Disability Support Officer to discuss your situation, any concerns you may have, and what reasonable adjustments can potentially be put in place for you.
  • Assessment of Needs If you qualify for Disabled Students' Allowance (DSA) you may be asked to attend​ an Assessment of Needs to decide on the support you will need. This will not take place through Disability & Inclusion, but will be conducted by an external agency. You will be provided with information on how to arrange your assessment when you received approval for your DSA.
  • Educational Psychologist’s Assessment – This is an appointment to diagnose whether or not you have a Specific Learning Difference (SpLD) such as Dyslexia or Dyspraxia. This may be required if you not been assessed for an SpLD before, or if your previous assessment doesn’t meet SpLD Working Group 2005/DfES Guidelines. This will not take place through Disability & Inclusion, but will be conducted by an external agency.
I have a disability, can I get a disabled parking space on campus?
The University of Chester has a very limited number of disabled parking spaces on campus, these are typically reserved for students who have a Blue Parking Badge. You will need to contact to apply for a permit.
I’ve got a temporary illness or injury, what support can I get?

Disability & Inclusion are only able to provide ongoing support for students who could have a disability as defined by the Equality Act 2010. If you have a short-term illness or injury, in the first instance you should contact your academic department to find out how they can support you.

You will need to obtain medical evidence of your injury or illness in order to be eligible for support. This could be in the form of a letter from your GP, or other relevant specialist.