Skip to content

Acceptable evidence of disability

For the majority of disabilities a letter, diagnostic assessment or health care plan from your doctor, consultant or other medical practitioner is usually acceptable.

We are unable to accept evidence written by therapists or counsellors. Whilst their work is important, and they are able to treat the symptoms of a diagnosis, they are not suitably qualified to make a formal diagnosis.

Ideally this evidence should:

  • Be on official headed paper,

  • Provide standard contact and organisational information,
  • Be as up to date as possible,
  • Provide a clear diagnosis of a disability in line with the Equality Act 2010,
  • Clearly state that your diagnosis has a substantial and long-term negative effect on your ability to do normal daily activities.

Substantial is more than minor or trivial, e.g. it takes much longer than it usually would to complete a daily task like getting dressed.

Long term means has lasted, or is expected to last, more than 12 months.

Clear diagnosis is definitive confirmation of the health condition or impairment.

Please note: all evidence is required in English. It is the responsibility of the student to have their evidence translated into English with a reputable translation service, they are responsible for bearing any costs associated with this too.

If you are unsure if your evidence is suitable, please send a copy to us at We would be happy to review it, and may be able to provide interim support whilst further suitable evidence is obtained.

Disability Evidence Pro-forma

To help students obtain suitable medical evidence, Disability & Inclusion have created a disability evidence pro-forma, along with some guidance notes, which can be found on our Documents and forms page;

Documents and Forms

Please ask your GP, or other suitable practitioner, to complete this on your behalf.

Students are responsible for obtaining and paying for any tests to establish eligibility for support.​

Students who are unable to afford these costs can apply to the University’s Financial Assistance Fund. This is a means tested process and will require you to provide evidence of financial hardship.

If you wish to pursue this option, further information about the process can be found on the University's Additional Financial Help pages;

Conditions requiring alternative evidence

For some conditions, a letter from your GP will not be suitable, and alternative evidence will be required. Information on these conditions can be found below;