Skip to content

Please note that this information is primarily related to Postgraduate Taught courses. For Postgraduate Research courses, please view the Research Degrees funding page.

Important information

Please note that only one-year full-time students and part-time students completing their studies within two years will be eligible to apply for some sources of funding. This includes Disabled Student Allowance and Local Authority funding. If you intend to take longer than two years to complete your studies part-time, you will not be eligible for some sources of funding.

Normally, fees are set per module per programme. However, we offer flexible modes of payment; if you do not wish to pay the full amount in one go, you may set up a direct debit for payment in nine instalments. All fees are liable to review and change without notice. For up-to-date information, please contact the Finance Department.

Before you start your studies with us, you must produce evidence that you can pay your course fees and support yourself while you are here. For example, you should have evidence of a grant/scholarship from an awarding body, such as a Research Council, or a letter from your employer confirming their intention to sponsor your studies. If you are a self-financing student, you will be required to sign a statement that you accept your obligation to pay fees and that you will do so when they are due. If you fail to pay the fees due, you will not be permitted to continue with your studies.

Fee Status

Your fee status depends on whether you are classified as a 'home' or an 'overseas' student. The rules for this are strictly set by the British Government. The following rules normally apply:

  • Students ordinarily resident in the UK, and UK nationals who are ordinarily resident in the European Union, are classified as 'home' students, and are liable to pay the home fee rate.
  • Students from other countries are classified as 'overseas' students, and are liable to pay the relevant overseas fee rate. Exceptions to this are: students who have not been ordinarily resident solely because they, or their spouse or parents, have been temporarily employed outside the UK or EU; those with refugee status; and migrant workers.
  • If there is any doubt regarding your fees status, you will be asked to complete a fees questionnaire and we will notify you of the University's decision. 

Additional Fees

Please note that course fees do not take into account the cost of accommodation, living expenses, trips, equipment or books.

Postgraduate students are also expected to meet the costs of typing and binding their dissertations or theses, in accordance with University requirements.

The University provides all full-time students with a Council Tax Certificate, which may exempt them from paying local council taxes. Your local authority will be able to tell you whether you can claim this exemption. 

Sources of funding

Applying for funding for your postgraduate study is never easy. Therefore, when completing an application for funding, here are some points to bear in mind:

  • Apply early. Most funding bodies have strict deadlines and will not consider late applications. You may also have to apply early for your postgraduate study as many funding bodies will only consider applications from candidates that have already received an offer of a place.
  • Your eligibility. Always check the eligibility criteria of the funding that you are applying for, i.e. country of residence, academic qualifications, subject or mode of study.
  • References. Ensure that your referees are available and allow plenty of time to obtain their reference(s). Also make sure that they are fully informed about what is required of them.
  • Make it easy to understand. Poorly presented applications will not be looked upon favourably. Try to be concise and give relevant answers to the questions. Remember to supply all documentation requested.
  • Contingency plans. Studentships and financial awards are often limited in number and are allocated on a competitive basis. Be realistic about your application and, if appropriate, consider seeking alternative sources of funding for your postgraduate study.

    If you are thinking of undertaking a postgraduate course to fulfil continuing professional development needs, it may be worth having a conversation with your employer to find out if they would be prepared to sponsor your studies.

    Please visit our Postgraduate bursaries and scholarships web pages for information about further sources of funding.

    There are a number of commercial lenders offering loans to postgraduate students - please think carefully before considering any of these options.

    Disabled Students' Allowance (DSAs)

    Full and part-time disabled students are eligible to apply for a Disabled Students' Allowance. If you are part-time you must intend to complete your studies within two years to be eligible. DSAs are non-means tested. They are not meant to pay for fees or living costs, but to help with costs incurred in attending your course as a direct result of your disability, for example, computer software or extra travel costs. The allowance is available to those who study on any postgraduate course which has an entry requirement of at least a first degree, and is of a higher standard than a first degree.

    If the course is part-time, you must study at a rate of at least 25% of an equivalent full-time course in each academic year. The course must last at least a year. Applications should be made to your Local Authority for this allowance, along with evidence of your disability. For further information, please visit the website.

    If you need guidance about eligibility or advice when making your application, please contact a Disability and Specific Needs Support Worker (based in Student Support and Guidance) or call 01244 511000.

    Please note: If you are in receipt of an award from a Research Council, a bursary from the NHS or General Social Care Council, or a bursary from the University, you will not be eligible for a postgraduate DSA.

    International students are not normally eligible for DSAs.


    Part-time postgraduate students may be eligible for housing, council tax and other benefits. Information about the most up-to-date regulations can be obtained from your local benefits agency, or you may visit their website.

      Non-UK Students

      If you are an international student, please visit our dedicated international fees, scholarships and finance page. Here you will find more information on internal and external funding opportunities.

      You may also be eligible for a scholarship awarded by your own government, the British Council or other organisations. You may usually obtain information from the Ministry of Education in your own country, or from the British Council.

      UKCISA, the UK Council for International Student Affairs gives advice to overseas students on possible sources of financial assistance. They may be contacted by telephone: +44 20 7788 9214

      Marshall Scholarships finance young Americans of high ability to study for a graduate degree in the UK.  

      The US-UK Fulbright Awards Programme offers opportunities for you to study or pursue research in any academic field.