Skip to content

Who can get a Postgraduate Loan?

You can apply for a Postgraduate Loan if you:

  • are studying a taught or research Master's course - please note that there is a separate Postgraduate Loan for the MRes, MPhil and DProf courses at Chester. Please visit for further information.
  • are under 60 years old at the start of the first academic year of their course, and
  • normally live in England.

Students for the MSc and Postgraduate Diploma in Nutrition and Dietetics should apply for tuition fees and maintenance loans from the Student Loans Company (SLC) instead of an NHS Bursary. Despite this being a postgraduate course, students are advised to apply for an undergraduate, rather than a postgraduate, student loan. Students can then also apply for additional financial support from the Learning Support Fund. For further information, please visit: and

If you are studying full time, the course can last for one or two years. If you are studying part time, you can study for two years (for the equivalent one-year full-time course) or up to four years (for the equivalent two-year full-time course).

If you are an EU student, who doesn't normally live in England, you will also be able to get a Postgraduate Loan for a Master's course at an English university or college.

What can you get?

If your course starts on or after the 1st August 2019, you can apply for a loan of up to £10,906* as a contribution towards your course and living costs. If your course is for two, three or four academic years, the loan will be divided equally across each year of your course. The loan will be paid into your bank account in three instalments during the academic year.

If you have a disability, including a mental-health condition or specific learning difficulty, such as dyslexia or dyspraxia, you might be able to get Disabled Students' Allowances (DSAs). These don't have to be paid back. 

*This amount applies to those starting their course on or after 1st August 2019. The Postgraduate Loan for 2020 has yet to be confirmed. 

When can you apply?

Applications for a Postgraduate Loan are open if you start your course in the 2018/9 academic year. For full details and to apply, please visit the website.

Will interest be charged on your loans?

Interest is charged from the day the first payment is made to you until the loan is repaid in full. Interest will be charged at the Retail Price Index (RPI) plus 3%.

How will you repay your loan?

You have to repay any loan you borrow, but not until you've finished or left your course and your income is over £21,000 a year. Repayments will be based on your income, not what you borrow.

If you're studying full-time you'll start making repayments the April after you finish or leave your course. If you're studying part-time you'll start making repayments the April two years after the start of your course or the April after you finish or leave your course, whichever comes first.

However, no repayments will be taken before April 2020 and you'll only start making repayments once your income is over the current threshold of £404 a week, £1,750 a month or £21,000 a year. You'll repay 6% of what you earn over the threshold.

What if you already have a student loan?

If you've had other loans from the Student Loans Company for your undergraduate course, you'll also repay these loans. For example if you took a loan for your undergraduate course that started after 1st September 2012, you'll repay 9% of your income over £21,000 towards that loan and 6% of your Postgraduate Loan. So you'll repay 15% of your income over the threshold in total.

A student loan repayment will be taken even if you don't earn £21,000 in a year but exceed the weekly or monthly threshold at any time, for example if you work overtime or get a bonus.

Any loan remaining 30 years after you're due to start making repayments will be written off.

Further information

For further information about the loans and to apply please visit:

2021 Postgraduate Information Events

We have a range of online and on-campus postgraduate events coming soon.