Skip to content

There is a range of additional funding options available, should you require it.

Advisory Services Offered by Student Welfare (within Student Support and Guidance)

If you are a student with special circumstances, you may find it helpful to discuss your financial arrangements with our welfare officers in Student Welfare. They may be able to suggest ways you can get financial help.

Financial Assistance Fund (FAF)

If you get into financial difficulties while completing your course, you may be eligible for financial help from the Financial Assistance Fund which is administered by the Student Support Funds Officers in Student Welfare. Financial Assistance Fund awards are given to students and are not repayable. Please email for more information about the application process and eligibility.

Turn2Us Grants Search

Financial assistance and other forms of support are often available from grant-giving organisations, depending on your particular background and circumstances. The grants search contains a database of over 3,500 charitable funds offering welfare and educational grants.

Students are excluded from the site’s Benefits Checker.

Find benefits and grants.

Delayed Funding Loans

Delayed Funding Loans are specifically for students who haven't got their funding arrangements in place. This situation is caused by students applying late or admin/communication problems with Student Finance England (or other funding authorities). Delayed Funding Loans are for urgent, short-term cash flow problems and have to be paid back to the University.

Help for Students with Children or Dependants

If you have children or adult dependants, you may be eligible to apply for an Adult Dependants' Grant. You should apply for a Childcare Grant at the same time as applying for a Tuition Fee Loan from Student Finance (England). Students with dependent children may also be entitled to claim Child Tax Credit from HM Revenue & Customs and a Parent’s Learning Allowance to help with course-related costs.

Help for Students with Disabilities

If you are a full-time or part-time student with a disability such as a sensory impairment, social and communication difficulty, mental health difficulties, physical disability, long term medical condition or specific learning differences, you may be eligible to apply for a Disabled Students' Allowance (DSAs). You will have to provide medical proof of your disability such as a letter from your doctor or a specialist (such as an Educational Psychologist). Disabled Students’ Allowance is usually paid on top of the other student packages and does not need to be repaid.

Please contact one of our Disability Support Officers for advice.