If you are a first-time undergraduate student from Northern Ireland, you will need to apply for student finance through Student Finance NI. To do this you will need to:
- Register online - this should take a few minutes and you will need your National Insurance number to hand
- Note down your unique 11 digit customer reference number. You will need this to log in to your account
- On the bottom of the My Account page click Apply for Student Support to begin your application
- Depending on the type of finance you are applying for, your parents or partner may need to answer some questions on the application. You will be notified when this is needed at the appropriate stage
- Once your application is complete you will see an estimate of the student finance you are entitled to. You should review your application and submit any changes if necessary before submitting.
What You Will Need
Once you have submitted your application you will see the Evidence Summary Screen. This will allow you to choose the evidence you are going to send to prove your identify, financial circumstances and other information. This information is needed before your application can be processed.
You will need to answer all of the questions carefully. You can save your progress and go back to it at any time, so don’t worry about completing the form all at once.
If you would rather apply via a paper form, you can download this from the Forms and Guides page of the Student Finance NI website.
When to Apply
The opening date for commencing the student finance application process will be announced in 2017, so keep an eye on the Student Finance NI website for information.