If you are a first-time undergraduate student from Wales you will need to apply for student finance through Student Finance Wales. To do this you will need to:
- Create an account online – this only takes a few minutes. To do this you will need your National Insurance number.
- Make a note of your unique customer reference number – you will need this for the duration of your study.
- Provide an email address – a personal one is more appropriate than a university or college email as you may need to be contacted outside of term-time.
- Once you have registered log in to your online account and submit your application, alongside the necessary evidence.
- Look out for the Student Finance Online Declaration Form in the post. This will need to be signed and sent back as soon as possible to ensure everything is in place in time for the start of your course.
What You Will Need
For full details on what you will need to complete your application take a look at the Student Finance Wales website.
You can save your progress and go back to it at any time, so don’t worry about completing the form all at once. If there is a change in your circumstance once you have submitted your application you must notify Student Finance Wales as soon as possible.
If you can’t apply online you can always submit a paper application. To get this you will need to contact 0300 200 4050
When to Apply
The opening date for commencing the student finance application process will be announced in 2017, so make sure you keep an eye on the Student Finance Wales website for information.
Want to Know More?
To help make things a little clearer, take a look at the following video which provides a brief summary of the application process.