Skip to content

Did you know that if you trained to teach Chemistry, Computing, Mathematics or Physics you could receive a tax-free bursary or scholarship of up to £26,000?

Alternatively, if you’re interested in teaching Design and Technology, Goegraphy or Languages you could receive a tax-free bursary or scholarship of up to £15,000 or a £10,000 bursary for training to teach Biology.

These are just one of the various forms of financial support available for eligible graduates on postgraduate routes into teacher training. However, funding amounts will vary depending on the subject you intend to teach and your degree classification or highest relevant academic qualification.

2022 Funding: Available for PGCE and School Direct (unsalaried)


Awarded by professional bodies for core subjects; you will also receive a range of non-financial benefits such as early career support and membership of the appropriate professional body.

Aimed at graduates:

• with a 1st, 2:1, Master's or PhD degree within Chemistry, Computing, Mathematics or Physics

• passionate about their subject

• who have the potential to be inspirational teachers

If you receive a scholarship, then this will be instead of the standard bursary. However, if you are not awarded a scholarship, then you will be eligible to apply for the standard bursaries.

* Languages scholarships are only available if you train to teach French, German or Spanish.

Training bursaries

Bursaries are available for a variety of subjects to encourage the best graduates to enter the teaching profession.

* All bursaries are subject to conditions and you are not guaranteed funding, but you may be eligible for financial support. Eligibility is established by the teacher training provider who will confirm the amount you are entitled to.

Bursaries are available for trainees in French, German and Spanish. They are also available for other modern, community or ancient languages. The full list of eligible languages can be found on GOV.UK.

To find out what other subjects are eligible, as well as more information on 2022-23 bursaries, please visit the Department of Education website.

School Direct (salaried)

School Direct (salaried) is a great way to earn as you learn whilst in a teaching environment.

As a trainee on this route, you must be employed in a school while you train. You can find out how to apply for School Direct by viewing our Courses section.

The school you are employed in will fund your training to become a qualified teacher and pay you a salary. However please check with your schools arrangements as it might not cover all funding; and you might be required to pay towards a qualification such as a postgraduate certificate in education (PGCE).


Tuition fee loan

If you’re on a postgraduate teacher training course which is not salaried, you will have to pay tuition fees. A Tuition Fee Loan is available to cover course costs, even if you already have a student loan. 

No upfront costs

If you already have a student loan from 2012 or later, or if you've no previous student loans, you will only pay the cost of tuition charges once you’re in full-time employment and earning above £25,000. Loans before 2012 have a different repayment threshold. You can calculate an estimate of your loan repayments on the GOV.UK website.

Home and EU students may be eligible for a tuition fee loan to cover the cost of tuition fees charged. This is available through Student Finance England.

Maintenance Loan

Home students in England may also be eligible for a student maintenance loan to help towards accommodation and other living costs. This is available through Student Finance England.

Find out more


Your tuition fees and any other bursary or financial support depend on your status as a home, European Union (EU) or overseas student. All bursaries are subject to conditions and you are not guaranteed funding, but you may be eligible for financial support.

Residents of Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland will need to apply for this support via your country’s student finance body (Student Finance Wales, Student Awards Agency Scotland or Student Finance NI).

Find out more

Please note: Information is correct at time of writing but may be subject to change without notice. For the latest information and confirmation of amounts and eligibility please visit Department for Education.