Skip to content

There are a range of additional funding options available, should you require assistance.

Advisory Services Offered by Wellbeing and Mental Health

If you are a student with special circumstances, you may find it helpful to discuss your financial arrangements with our Wellbeing Advisers in Wellbeing and Mental Health. They may be able to suggest ways you can get financial help.

Student Support Fund

If you get into financial difficulties while completing your course, you may be eligible for financial help from the Student Support Fund which is administered by the Your Money Team in Student Services. Student Support Fund awards are non-repayable. The terms and conditions can be viewed here and for current students, information about how to apply to the fund can be found on Portal.

Turn2Us Grants Search

Financial assistance and other forms of support are often available from grant-giving organisations, depending on your particular background and circumstances. The grants search contains a database of over 3,500 charitable funds offering welfare and educational grants.

Students are excluded from the site’s Benefits Checker.

Help for Students with Children or Dependants

If you have children or adult dependants, you may be eligible to apply for an Adult Dependants' Grant. You should apply for a Childcare Grant at the same time as applying for a Tuition Fee Loan from Student Finance (England). Students with dependent children may also be entitled to claim Child Tax Credit from HM Revenue & Customs and a Parent’s Learning Allowance to help with course-related costs. If you are a Welsh resident and you have children or adult dependents, you may be able to apply for the Childcare GrantParents’ Learning Allowance or the Adult Dependants’ Grant from Student Finance Wales. If you are a resident of Scotland or Northern Ireland, further information for students with children or dependents can be found at Student Awards Agency Scotland and Student Finance NI.

Help for Students with Disabilities

If you are a full-time or part-time student with a disability, mental health difficulties or specific learning difficulties, you can apply for a Disabled Students' Allowance (DSAs). You will have to provide medical proof of your disability such as a letter from your doctor or a specialist. The DSAs is paid on top of the other student packages and does not need to be repaid. If you are a resident in Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland, select from the below to find out how DSA works for you:

If you have any questions, please contact one of our Disability Support Officers for advice.

Open Days / Interview / Audition Day Travel Bursary

If you are attending an Open Day or an Interview/Audition Day and meet any of the criteria below, you may be eligible for our Travel Bursary.

  • Be eligible for free school meals or pupil premium 
  • Looked after Children / have been in local authority care
  • Carer
  • In receipt of benefits, such as Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA), Employment and Support Allowance (ESA), Income Support, Tax Credits or Universal Credit
  • Have a declared disability and are in receipt of Personal Independence Payment (PIP) or Disability Living Allowance (DLA) 
  • Estranged student

Through our Travel Bursary, you may be eligible to claim up to £100 towards your, and one guest's, travel costs.