Skip to content

The University of Chester actively welcomes students wishing to transfer from other course providers, and we will do everything possible to facilitate smooth and successful transfer arrangements.

If you are considering a transfer into the University of Chester, a change of course or transfer within the University, or a transfer to another course provider, advice and guidance is available in the University which we strongly recommend you to obtain before committing yourself to any change in your status either with the University of Chester or another course provider.

Transferring into the University of Chester

If you are currently studying elsewhere, the University of Chester would be very keen to welcome you and may be able to recognise your prior educational and experiential learning. You may, therefore, be able to transfer directly into a full time undergraduate course at Chester, or you may be exempt from specific modules on these or other courses. The University of Chester is very pleased to take applicants for admission with APL (Accreditation of Prior Learning) and staff will be able to advise you on how your prior learning and/or experience matches the course you are looking to study. Please contact our admissions team for more information.

Find out more about our Easy Transfer Scheme

Transferring within the University of Chester

If you are thinking about a change of course within the University, please speak initially to your personal academic tutor (PAT). Others who can offer advice are Programme Leaders and the Directors of Undergraduate Modular Programmes. Mid-year transfers between courses are generally not available after the first 6 weeks due to the amount of work missed on new modules. So if you are thinking about transferring between courses early in the year, do bear this in mind and speak to your PAT as soon as possible.

Transferring to another course provider

If you decide that your course at Chester may not be right for you, we want to help you make an appropriate alternative choice. Your PAT again should be your first point of contact. You may also find it useful to speak to Student Services regarding the practicalities of transferring institution. If you are transferring after having completed and passed modules at Chester, the University’s Registry Department will be able to provide you with a transcript to give to your new institution, so that they can assess you for Accreditation of Prior Learning. The Registry will also automatically ensure you get any interim award you are entitled to from your study, if you leave having reached a level where you have gained the required credit.

Students from outside the UK

Students from outside the UK who are studying on a Tier 4 Visa should seek advice from the University of Chester’s International Centre before applying to transfer within or outside the University in order to ensure they comply with UK immigration rules.